Returning to work makes you tired! I can still not believe how much quicker time passes when you are off work compared to when you are at work, and this seems very unfair. Oh well…
What we needed was a nourishing start to the week so Lebanese Aubergine and Tomato appeared.
This recipe is based on one from a blog I follow www.johnnys-kitchen.blogspot.co.uk, but slightly adapted for our taste. It was really lovely, a big hit with Colin, and could turn even the meatiest eater into a veggie for the evening!
Here’s my version of the recipe:
Jo’s Lebanese Aubergine Bake
2 medium aubergines, sliced into 3 thick strips
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 green Chilli, chopped
1tsp ground cumin
1tsp cayenne pepper
Small glass of white wine
2 tins chopped tomatoes
1 tin chickpeas
Fresh parsley, roughly chopped
Squeeze of lemon juice
- Heat the oven to 200°
- Heat some olive oil in a sauté pan and fry the onions and garlic until soft. Add the chilli and the spices and stir for 5 mins.
- Add the wine and reduce for 5 mins
- Add the tins of tomatoes and reduce for 15mins. Stir in the chickpeas.
- Pour the vegetables into a baking dish. Top with the slices of aubergine, drizzle over some olive oil and seasoning.
- Bake in the oven for 45mins until the aubergine is golden and the sauce is thickened. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice
We had some olive oil baked chips and some salad on the side and enjoyed every mouthful.!