Tonight I am extremely proud of myself as there has been a massive triumph in the kitchen! I have been meaning to try making a Homity Pie for some time but could not decide which recipe to follow. I finally picked the version in the Pieminster Cookbook as it looked to be the most straightforward- and it was really great. Here it is before it hit the oven.
The pie is a good veggie option, with more than enough for 4 people, so I will be taking 2 portions into work with me this week. He’s the recipe:
Wholemeal pastry to fill a pie/flan dish. (I actually made the pastry myself which made me feel like a domestic goddess!)
2 sweet potatoes
1 large red onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
120g mature cheddar, grated
6 spring onions, chopped
Large handful of curly parsley, roughly chopped
500g new potatoes, cut into quarters and just cooked
120ml crème fraiche
Handful of breadcrumbs
Handful of fresh thyme leaves
- Heat the oven to 200°.
- Prick the sweet potatoes all over with a fork and bake in the oven for about 40mins until soft.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan and soften the red onion with the garlic.
- In a small bowl mix the cheese, spring onions and parsley.
- Add the potatoes to the onions and add the crème fraiche. Stir in the cheese mixture. Peel the sweet potatoes and break up the flesh. Add to the potatoes and season. Mix together well, taking care mot to break up the sewer potato too much.
- Line the pie tin with your pastry. Top with the potato mixture an sprinkle with breadcrumbs and thyme.
- Bake in the oven for 30mins until golden brown.
Really lovely dinner with some salad in the side. Clean plates and full Tums!