We hadn’t made a ‘normal’ curry for a while- and by ‘normal’ I mean what we used to think of as normal= a chicken curry!
The ‘normal’ French Thomas Curry
1 garlic clove, chopped
1cm piece of ginger, chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp black mustard seeds
5-6 curry leaves
chicken- breast or thighs chopped into bitesize pieces
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp garam masala
2 hot chillis, chopped
1 large onion, sliced
1 red and green pepper, chopped
1 tin tomatoes & 3-4 fresh tomatoes
squeeze lemon juice
- heat a little oil and fry the garlic, ginger, cumin, mustard and curry leaves for 1 min. Add the chicken and stir until browned. Remove from the pan.
- add a little more oil if the pan is dry. Add the paprika, turmeric and garam masala and combine to a paste- you can add a little water to make the paste if it is a little dry.
- add the onions and fry until softened. Add the peppers and fry for 5 mins. Add the chicken back to the pan and stir to combine.
- add the tomatoes and leave to simmer for 30 mins until thickened.
- stir in the lemon juice just before serving and season with salt & pepper.