I absolutely love my little gravy pan! So any excuse to use it…
Tonight we have had sausages with root veg colcannon cakes and onion gravy.
The sausages are Colin’s favourites from Waitrose- Old Spot pork and sage. The gravy was also bought (fresh red wine and onion gravy, also from Waitrose), but perked up with a little beef stock, Worcestershire sauce and a little soy sauce. The cakes were fantastic so here’s the recipe:
Root Veg Colcannon Cakes
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 large carrot, peeled and cubed
1 small parsnip, peeled and cubed
1 small onion, cut into half moons
1 large handful of kale
- boil the potato, carrot and parsnip until just cooked. Drain and roughly mask.
- in a large bowl mix the root veg, onion, kale and salt & pepper. Leave to cool.
- take a handful of the veg and form into small burger shapes.
- heat some oil in a frying pan and fry the cakes on both sides until browned.
- pop onto a baking sheet and keep hot in the oven until the sausages and gravy are ready and the cakes are hot through.
I should’ve made the gravy but I was feeling very lazy!