One of my NY resolutions this year is to eat more veggie, so tonight it was Moroccan Veggie Parcels. I’ve made these alot of times before: they are a bit like spicy veggie pasties with puff pastry, but sometimes they have soggy bottoms (oh no!) so tonight it was more like an open tart. Here’s the Moroccan veggie mixture before it went into its pastry blanket-
Here’s the recipe:
1 red onion
handful of cooked, cubed sweet potato
1 small aubergine, chopped
1 small courgette, chopped
1/2 tin chickpeas
1 small bag of spinach
small handful of almonds, roughly chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cayenne powder
1/2 tbsp runny honey
chopped fresh coriander
pack ready rolled puff pastry (lazy, but it is a school night!)
- saute the onion, sweet potato, aubergine and courgette in olive oil till nicely browned.
- add the chickpeas and the spinach and stir through.
- stir in the almonds, spices and honey and take off the heat to cook slightly.
- with the pastry you can either lay it out flat and use it as a tart base, or cut into 4 smaller pieces.
- if making a tart simply spread the mixture on top of the pastry, folding the edges a little over the mixture, leaving it open in the centre.
- if making parcels hold the pastry in the palm of your hand and place the mixture on the pastry. Fold up the pastry, sealing the veggies, and shape into a ball shape.
- Cook either way in the oven until the pastry is browned- about 20 mins.
This is a really lovely supper or lunch and the Moroccan spicing really perks up the veggies. We eat it often with new potatoes, but last night we made some potatoes wedges in the over with olive oil, tossed in some salt at the end. Salad for me- I’m on a diet (of sorts….)
Tonight I am back late as I went to meeting in Crowborough and had a horrible drive back- excuses, excuses, excuses- and Colin not back yet as trains delayed, so it’s a takeaway curry! Secretly pleased I have to admit so feet up, G&T and await some tandoori king prawns.