Yesterday and today have been a tale of 2 curries! Last night was Colin’s curry night and he made 2 veggie curries- it is his New Years Resolution to cook much more often so this was his first offering of 2013.
The 1st curry was a roasted veggie stew, with cauliflower, courgettes, carrots, onions and tomatoes. The 2nd was a spicy dal. As you can see Colin was stressed while cooking but it was a triumph, and I am so happy that there are leftovers for my late night at work on Friday!
Tonight was my turn and I made a Keralan Fish Curry. Here’s the recipe:
For 2 hungry people!
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 green chilli
handful curry leaves
1 in piece ginger, grated
2 small onions, chopped
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1/2 tin coconut milk
400g cod, haddock or monkfish, cut into chunks
1 tbsp lemon juice
- heat a little vegetable oil in a large pan and fry the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, chilli, curry leaves and ginger for 2 mins.
- add the onions to the pan and fry for 10 mins.
- add the chilli powder, turmeric, tomatoes and coconut milk, season and simmer for 30 mins till nice and thick.
- add the chunks of fish and poach in the yummy sauce until cooked- about 10 mins.
- sprinkle with lemon juice and chopped coriander.
Here’s how it looked…. (but it tasted much, much better!)
Tomorrow no new nice dinner as working late (got yummy leftovers)- but good plans for the weekend!